29/12/2010

Songs of 2010, #10-7

Mwahahahaha. I've actually managed three blog posts in consecutive days! This is almost turning in to a thing I can keep up! Oh, what a marvellous day it is to be me :D

#10. Acapella by Kelis

Kelis does something memorable that isn't Milkshake! Yes, I know such a concept is rather foreign, but boy did she manage it with Acapella. It's a song that shouldn't be good for many reasons: pretty repetitive tune and most of the song is actually sort of sung-spoken. The good thing is that it's some of the catchiest lyrics and the song just won't get out of your head. The amount of times I've found myself randomly singing "before you, my whole life was Acapella..." under my breath is slightly worrying. I think one day I might try and slip it into a news report I do. I'm totally going to do that, much like I promised Jonny I would one day manage to get "horrageous" in to a news report.

Anyway, Kelis. Yeah, it's a great song and well worthy of a spot in my top 10. Plus, the video is seriously trippy which only makes things even better. Win!

#9. Promise This by Cheryl Cole

Fun story: I hated this song when it first came out. Heard it when it debuted and thought "oh my god, that's awful." It was probably the "alouette" bit, if anything. I mean, let me make it clear: I'm sort of indifferent to Cheryl, in the sense that I felt sorry for her with the whole Ashley thing but then I don't worship her like a worrying majority of gay guys appear to do. Liked "Fight for this Love" but hated "3 Words". It took until Children in Need and her performance of this song for me to think "huh...it's actually quite good." About 20 listens on iTunes later and I can definitely say I love it. It doesn't really stop going from start to finish (apart from the little alouette refrain in the middle) and that's what really keeps the song going: it's full energy and really makes you remember it.

#8. Fireflies by Owl City

It seems like aaaaaages since this song came out. In fact, I nearly forgot it when I was making the list because I thought it had come out in 2009 - but, no, there it was at the start of 2010 and it's impossible to leave it off the list as a result. Sure, Owl City has done pretty much nothing else since then and while it's certainly a bit of a divisive song, Fireflies is still a lovely little pop song. I probably fell in love with it even more for the video though, because when you listen to the two together, it works so well and puts across the idea for the song. The same cannot be said for a video along a similar ilk, I'd say:


Mika tried to go for a "going back to your childhood" thing with the We Are Golden video and failed horribly, instead looking like a lunatic in his pants. Which ain't a good look. Owl City, on the other hand, has a bit of optimism to it and more importantly, the right amount of childhood innocence. Helps that he's not dancing in his pants too, I guess.

#7. Gettin' Over You by David Guetta & Chris Willis (ft. Fergie & LMFAO)

The award for longest artist contribution tag goes to...well, yeah, but to be fair all five of them (who knew LMFAO were a duo!?) are pretty damn good on this song (Guetta obviously for his producer skills and whatnot). I mean, overall this song is all over the place, with Fergie randomly interspersed in wherever she wants to be, Chris Willis (whoever he is) showing off some damn good vocal skills while LMFAO put together the bulk of the song for whatever reason. I mean, ultimately this song makes no sense. It shouldn't work...but it does. It works so well that it makes me want to dance. That takes a lot as many people well testify; I have no idea how it's a song about getting over someone really, but it sure as hell makes you feel good by the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment